Wednesday, March 28, 2012

MDAC 2.8 Fatal Setup Error. This setup does not support installing on this operating system

I have XP Pro SP2 with MDAC 2.8.1022. It had a problem so I tried to reinstall MDAC and got a Fatal Setup Error. This setup does not support installing on this operating system. I downloaded MDAC 2.8 1177 and get the same error.

I thought of uninstalling/reinstalling SP2, but this is a 2 month old Dell Latitude 610 with factory installed XP. There is no Windows Service Pack 2 option listed in the Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs.

There's some other strange things, so I wonder if they are related.

1) I have Paul set up as an administrator account. Some folders like MSSQL show that account with no permissions. I grant all the permissions to Paul for that folder. I come back later and the permissions are gone.

2) I deleted 20 files in Explorer, but 7 of them did not go away. I deleted those 7 again and they instatnly reappeared. I deleted those 7 again and then they finally went away.

3) I get a slow reaction time for things like Windows Explorer and opening and closing programs. This is suprising since it has 2 gig of RAM and 2.3 Gig processor. Could it be a memory handling problem that's causing OS problems. Probably, the memory didn't handle the OS installation well and the whole system is compromised now.

I'm having the same problem on XP Sp2 trying to re-install MDAC.

Thought I'd try re-installing MDAC since my system errors out when I try to register DLL files.

|||

I've seen this error during MDAC installation on XP SP2 as well. I was able to get around it by changing the Compatibility Properties of the mdac installation file to Win NT. It then installs OK.

|||

Chnaces are the files did go away for an instant but they are on the system recovery list and XP replaced them.

|||

I have XP Pro SP2 . It had a problem so I tried to install ADO.Net (MDAC Version 2.8 SP1 ) many times and reload it from download.microsoft.com. I couldn't install on my computer. I get the Fatal Setup Error "This setup does not support installing on this operating system". How can I solve this problem ?

|||

I could not overcome the problem.. I finally did erased the drive and reinstalled windows.

Paul

|||Windows XP comes pre-installed with MDAC you should not install the standalone MDAC installer on Windows XP. If you have a problem with the MDAC install on XP then just run a repair install of XP this will reinstall the MDAC that XP ships with.|||

I had a similar experience. Two possible options can be used to allow XP to repair the entries or force the install without having to repair the XP installation.

1. To repair your MDAC installation. Found this solution on the web that works. Have your XP SP2 install disk handy. Go to and find c:\windows\inf\mdac.inf. Right click on the .inf file and pick Install. It will attempt to reinstall the files. Browse to source files on the XP CD. It should install smoothly. It may ask for the handler.reg (in c:\program files\common files\system\msadc\). Restart. Sign in (admin) and then after a few minutes windows update will want to apply the security patch again. You may want to follow up with the SJet update also.

2. To force the installation. Found this one also. XP SP2 will already have the SP1 update applied but has registry corruption (virus after affects). Right click on the MDAC 2.8 SP1 install exe file and select properties. Select the Compatability tab, check the compatability mode box and pick "windows NT" or possibly "Windows 2000". Click apply and run the file again. It should install all the proper files again.

This restored the complete connectivity to databases. In visual studio the data tables did not display properly with a flawed connection. If the access (mdb) tables display properly, then a connection to the SQL database (mdf) - missing tables -is a access/login rights problem. Grant login rights to the user for the database.

|||

John,

#2 works like a charms. Thanks a million.

No comments:

Post a Comment