Friday, March 30, 2012

mdf & ldf

What do MDF and LDF stand for?

Thank you.

MDF is the standard data file extension for SQL Server
LDF is the standard log file extension for SQL Server.

Google is your friend.

You may also want to check out the "Getting started" forum for SQL Server.

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=158&SiteID=1|||Perhaps, I should re-phrase my question.

What do letters M-D-F and L-D-F stand for?

|||

foobar101 wrote:

Perhaps, I should re-phrase my question.

What do letters M-D-F and L-D-F stand for?

I'm not positive on the "M", but:

M = Master?
D = Database
F = File
L = Log

Try Google though.|||So I thought, but wasn't sure. I figured I'd ask the luminaries that know the BOL better than I.

|||

foobar101 wrote:

Perhaps, I should re-phrase my question.

What do letters M-D-F and L-D-F stand for?

Main data file

Log data file

Some people give data files the .ndf suffix. Point is, it really doesn't matter what they're called therefore its not really important what those suffixes stand for either.

-Jamie

|||

NDF - Not the master data file. A convention used for additional files other than the master of course.

Similarly MDF has always been master data file to me. Not that it matters as it is not a required convention, you can use no extension, or anything you like.

sql

No comments:

Post a Comment