Wednesday, March 28, 2012

MDAC Hot patch

With regards to MS04-003 that just came out a few days ago,does one need to
install this MDAC update on SQL Servers servers and on
clients ? Can I just go ahead and apply it on our production systems without
testing ? If i install it only on the server, does it still leave me
vulnerable if I dont apply it on the clients ? Does this require a server
reboot ?> Can I just go ahead and apply it on our production systems without
quote:

> testing ?

LOL !!!!! Famous last words, if I've ever heard any.
Ideally, you would install the patch on clients and servers in your test
environment, run a battery of sanity tests just to make sure you don't miss
anything. I've witnessed many problems where the client and server had
provider versions out of sync, so you would be best off making sure both the
server and all of its clients have the same version / patch level applied.
NOTHING in your environment should change, ever, without testing first!
You're begging for disaster. Just because it worked for someone else,
doesn't mean it will work for you, unless they have the exact same
network/hardware/software config and are using the exact same applications
and the same users.
Aaron Bertrand
SQL Server MVP
http://www.aspfaq.com/|||Thanks Aaron... That got me laughing too.. I guess I was serious when I
issued the post and really would have thought about applying without testing
it if I just got a reply from somone stating that its safe..
"Aaron Bertrand [MVP]" <aaron@.TRASHaspfaq.com> wrote in message
news:ul1BZ$F3DHA.556@.TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
quote:

> LOL !!!!! Famous last words, if I've ever heard any.
> Ideally, you would install the patch on clients and servers in your test
> environment, run a battery of sanity tests just to make sure you don't

miss
quote:

> anything. I've witnessed many problems where the client and server had
> provider versions out of sync, so you would be best off making sure both

the
quote:

> server and all of its clients have the same version / patch level applied.
> NOTHING in your environment should change, ever, without testing first!
> You're begging for disaster. Just because it worked for someone else,
> doesn't mean it will work for you, unless they have the exact same
> network/hardware/software config and are using the exact same applications
> and the same users.
> --
> Aaron Bertrand
> SQL Server MVP
> http://www.aspfaq.com/
>

No comments:

Post a Comment