Friday, March 30, 2012

MDAC update caused access problems

I just updated MDAC on one of my machines and I'm now having trouble accessing my SQL server. It's a local connection using SQLOLEDB in a VB dll. It was working fine before the update and now I get:

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server error '80004005'

[DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (Connect()).]SQL Server does not exist or access denied.

/cms25/CMS.asp, line 33

Most of the information I can find on this refers to TCP/IP connections but the SQL server is local. My connect function looks like this:

Public Sub ADOConnect()

With m_ADOConnection
.Provider = "SQLOLEDB"
.CursorLocation = adOpenStatic
.CommandTimeout = 20
.Mode = adModeReadWrite
.ConnectionString = "Data Source=" & m_strServer & ";Database=" & m_strName & ";" & m_strUsernamePassword
.open
End With

End Sub

On this server, m_strServer = "(local)". What am I missing? Thanks for any help in advance!

a.From which version of MDAC to which version?

On what platform?

Biggest headache I had was that 2.5 default connection library was Named pipes while 2.7 and later, the default was TCP. If you didn't have TCP and DNS configured properly, then the upgrade would result in errors that you may not have noticed previously.

Regards,

hmscott|||I believe I went from something like 2.5 to 2.8 so you might be right. How do I make sure the server is configured properly? Where do I set up named pipes?

UPDATE:

As soon as I enabled the TCP/IP access, it worked so I guess I'm not using named pipes... I'll have to look into this some more because I'd like to avoid using TCP/IP entirely. I'm assuming named pipes is faster?|||Check this KBA http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328306/en-us for the relevant reasons.sql

No comments:

Post a Comment