Friday, March 30, 2012

MDAC upgrade problem CompCheck reports 2.5 instead of 2.8

I am running SQL server on a Windows 2000 server with sp4 installed. After installing SQL service pack 4 on the machine my applications began complaining that MDAC was version 2.5 sure enough CompChecker reports version 2.5. I have tried to install the latest version of MDAC (2.8) on the machine but no matter what I do CompChecker reports 2.5.

I've tried reinstalling the SQL service pack I had no luck with that. Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated.

WHen was the Windows service pack4 was applied, is it after SQL SP4 or before?

Check this KBA http://support.microsoft.com/kb/823939 for informaiton, ifyou need then you have to install MDAC 2.8 seperately.

|||The service pack was applied before the upgrade.|||I don't know if this helps but I think the issue is with the Windows File Protection. If I attempt to rename one of the dlls the server will automatically replace the file on the server with the 2.5 version. Is there some way to overcome this?|||Did you try to install the MDAC 2.8 separately like Satya proposed ? The file cannot be changed as the Windows FileProtextion is enabled for them (as you already noticed). if you already tried to install the MDAC 2.8, did you get an error or did the install run through ? Did you restart the system afterwards ?

HTH, Jens K. Suessmeyer.


http://www.sqlserver2005.de

|||

I finally figured this out. It turns out that there were certain registry settings that were incorrectly set when SP4 was applied to SQL Server 2000. I don't want to get into the exact registry settings that need to be changed but that is where the answer lies.

Thanks to all for your assistance.

No comments:

Post a Comment